How to use bridge-utils to enable connection sharing?

Hello list,

Among all things in software business, networking is the area i know the
least about.

What i am trying to setup is to have an older unused pc act as a
backup-server. The first thing to do would be to install a current
debian (disks are already pluged in). And the installation absolutely
wants an internet connection.

Due to physical restrictions, my router has only one connection (used by
my main host), but there are more networking cards in it, so i am
intending to allow a connection from the host to the backuup server,
later that net is going to be used for the backing up of data. But now,
i would like to avoid any additional hardware (like bridge, router,
twisted pair, or such) and just have the backup server connect with a
normal network cable (rj-45?) to a secondary network card of the host,
and have the latter allow internet access thru it. (dhcp or fixed
address, whatever is easier)

In order to achieve that, i installed on the host (debian, buster for
the time being)

apt install bridge-utils

and looked up the interfaces in question (enp0s3 and enp0s8)

brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 enp0s3 enp0s8

but, even after rebooting, the bridge does not work

ip addr show

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
2: enp0s3: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop master br0 state
DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 08:00:27:e1:93:46 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: enp0s8: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop master br0 state
DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 08:00:27:7e:c0:bb brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: br0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group
default qlen 1000
    link/ether 08:00:27:7e:c0:bb brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

But now, i am at a loss: even after rebooting, the interfaces are not
coming up and thus i cannot install debian on the backup-server.

Can anyone point me to the misunderstanding of my ways, and get me going
again?