testing distribution kernel upgrade question when mixing signed and unsigned

  note: DO NOT DO THIS ON A PRODUCTION SYSTEM.

  last week i was running an unsigned kernel and went to upgrade it
to a signed version and it came back with asking me about removing
a running kernel.  in recent times that hasn't been and issue so i
aborted the install and then downloaded the desired kernel and
installed it by hand myself.  in the process of doing that i screwed
up a few links but was able to recover since i had a bootable stable
partition.

  i eventually got the unsigned kernel version removed and replaced
by the desired signed version.

  todays upgrade went smoothlyy as expected.

  the question is for someone who has a system they're willing to play
with and see if you can replicated my problem or not as i'd like to
file a bug if there is indeed a problem.

  songbird