Re: Syslog/Rsyslog/Systemctl issue

Max Nikulin wrote:
> On 01/02/2023 21:48, Freyja wrote:
>> Instead of just creating the folders, I've reinstalled some packages:
>
> I would consider complete reinstall (install from scratch). It may be
> faster even for a person having experience with systemd troubleshooting.
> Something low level is affected.
>
> However I find the problem interesting: how to get logs if journald can
> not start.

  i always see something at least in other files because i
still use rsyslog.

  restore the directory and file then, but if you have
/etc/syslog/journald.conf complicated somehow i can't
really say much about that.  i use it very simply and
the only option in there i have is:

SplitMode=none

  because i don't want stuff going in multuple places so
i don't have a lot of different files to deal with or
clean out.

  my clean out script does not remove the directory itself.
i thought it did so i'm sorry for that, instead i just remove
the files in the bottom subdirectory by using:

  rm journal/bl*/system@*
  rm journal/bl*/system*

in my clean out script.

for a normal day this is what it looks like so you can see
that my systemd-journal directory hasn't been removed since
Apr 4 2018

/var/log:

drwxr-sr-x+ 3 root        systemd-journal    4096 Apr  4  2018 journal

/var/log/journal/blahblah:

drwxr-sr-x+ 2 root systemd-journal 4096 Feb  2 06:46 blahblah

-rw-r-----+ 1 root systemd-journal 8388608 Feb  2 10:09 system.journal

  songbird