Re: Syslog/Rsyslog/Systemctl issue

On 31/01/2023 16:57, debian@sioban.net wrote:
I'm contacting you because I'm clueless on what's happening.
Basically my issue is I don't have logs anymore :/
 > systemctl start rsyslog.service
A dependency job for rsyslog.service failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for details.

❯systemctl --failed
   UNIT                            LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION
● systemd-journald.socket         loaded failed failed Journal Socket

This line looks suspicious. I would ensure at first that journald is running correctly. Rsyslog likely receives logs from journald.

Are logs available through the following commands (last entries and for current boot)?

journalctl -e
journalctl -b

Does

systemctl status systemd-journald.service

reports any errors?