Re: Syslog/Rsyslog/Systemctl issue

On Wed, Feb 01, 2023 at 03:39:05PM +0100, Freyja wrote:
> But I've found that some processes were complaining that selinux filesystem
> was not mounted.

> I know I've disabled apparmor and selinux in the past because too many
> processes were blocked by them

I don't know much about SELinux.  If that's the underlying issue here,
you're going to need help from someone who knows SELinux.

Overall, the fact that you got it working by restarting various things
long after boot time makes it sound like things are not happening in
the right order *at* boot time.

Just as one *possible* example, a program that's supposed to create
the directory /run/systemd/journal won't be able to do that until the
/run file system is mounted.  If the mounting of /run is happening
later than expected (due to SELinux or whatever), it might cause things
like systemd-journald to fail to start at boot time.

Tracking down the exact causes of these types of issues is *very*
difficult, especially due to the non-sequential nature of systemd's
boot process.  It tries to do as many things as possible in parallel,
which is great for speed, but a massive headache when trying to
troubleshoot a problem.

But it sounds like you've at least got some inkling of where the
problem is.  I don't know what an "selinux filesystem" is, but if you
need it to be mounted, or running, or whatever, before other things can
go, then you'll need to look at the dependency relationships of your
"selinux" unit with respect to other units.  Make sure everything runs
at the correct time.