Re: Debian 12.4.0

On Thu 14 Dec 2023 at 21:07:25 (-0500), Cindy Sue Causey wrote:
> On 12/14/23, Charles Curley wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Dec 2023 17:01:19 -0500 David Sawyer wrote:
> >
> >> This may seem to be a simple problem. I set up Debian with a password
> >> that I wrote down to be sure.
> >
> > Password for what? Your user account? A root password? Disk encryption?
> >
> > (This is why, when setting up passwords, I will type them in [both
> > times, if necessary] in clear test when possible.)
> >
> > If the former, did you type your user account name incorrectly?
>

> Is this via GUI interface or via a console/terminal?
>
> Does the system show dots or asterisks that make it so much easier to
> tell how many characters were typed in?
>
> I abhor having to type into the console. Apparently I "slur" my
> keystrokes while the system has a pretty fast keystroke repeat going.
> I thought I poked the key quick two days ago.. and saw six of the same
> letter staring back. SIX of them in a split second.

Haven't we two visited this problem before?

I don't need to lower kbdrate, and I don't remember when initramfs
became so ubiquitous, which means I've never tested a combination
of cron and kbdrate. It might help, for example, in unlocking an
encrypted root filesystem, but I only encrypt swap and /home myself.

> Back on track, I just tested passwd on a random extra user. I gave my
> user, snowball, the same password as before. The command was processed
> without it complaining that a password was reused. I got the feeling
> that was a nice extra tidbit to know in this instance.

If you mean you gave two users the same password, that shouldn't
matter at all. I don't see how the system would remember the first
while you were creating the second password. (Typically, salting
ensures that two identical passwords produce different encryptions.)

But more feedback is needed from the OP.

Cheers,
David.