Re: Debian 12.4.0

On 12/14/23 18:13, Charles Curley wrote:
On Thu, 14 Dec 2023 17:01:19 -0500
David Sawyer <drsawyer@gmail.com> wrote:

This may seem to be a simple problem. I set up Debian with a password
that I wrote down to be sure.

Password for what? Your user account? A root password? Disk encryption?

(This is why, when setting up passwords, I will type them in [both
times, if necessary] in clear test when possible.)

If the former, did you type your user account name incorrectly?

Another possibility is contaminated .XAuthority or .xsession files in the users directory, if other access can be obtained, and then su to that account, nuke the lot of them. It looks like your pw is bad, but its actually x that can't start and it falls back to the login, making one think the pw is bad.
Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis