Re: Debian 12.4.0

On 12/14/23, Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Dec 2023 17:01:19 -0500
> David Sawyer <drsawyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This may seem to be a simple problem. I set up Debian with a password
>> that I wrote down to be sure.
>
> Password for what? Your user account? A root password? Disk encryption?
>
> (This is why, when setting up passwords, I will type them in [both
> times, if necessary] in clear test when possible.)
>
> If the former, did you type your user account name incorrectly?

Is this via GUI interface or via a console/terminal?

Does the system show dots or asterisks that make it so much easier to
tell how many characters were typed in?

I abhor having to type into the console. Apparently I "slur" my
keystrokes while the system has a pretty fast keystroke repeat going.
I thought I poked the key quick two days ago.. and saw six of the same
letter staring back. SIX of them in a split second.

Regressing to beginner keyboarding by using ONE FINGER to hen peck
passwords in is the only way I can ever successfully log in with
consoles. Why it's not nearly as bad for the GUI, I don't know. I use
slick-greeter there. I've always a-sumed it's about what stage of the
operating system is loaded at the time of keyboard use.

The "passwd" command exists out there, but I'm pretty sure that root
already needs its password set first. It seems like someone here on
Debian-User went through giving root a password afterward, but I don't
remember any details. Am saying that because it feels like that might
be part of the situation in this thread.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know how safe the following is so warnings from
others are welcome. A creative search about resetting root's unknown
password found this:

https://phoenixnap.com/kb/how-to-change-root-password-linux

It's down where it says, "Resetting a Root Password in Ubuntu." That's
2018 so it's possible something has changed to make it harder to do
that.

It talks about going into recovery mode, dropping out to shell,
remounting as read/write. It's pretty hefty. Reminds me of a long time
ago where I said something about how easy access can be if the wrong
person simply picks up our computer hardware and takes the whole thing
home with them...........

Back on track, I just tested passwd on a random extra user. I gave my
user, snowball, the same password as before. The command was processed
without it complaining that a password was reused. I got the feeling
that was a nice extra tidbit to know in this instance. For others, new
passwords can be forced as needed. Just need to track down the tips on
how to set that up.

Cindy :)
* runs with birdseed *