Re: Problem with /var/cache/apt/archives/

Stephen P. Molnar composed on 2023-12-16 08:45 (UTC-0500):

> I am running Bookworm on my Debian computer. When I installed the OS I
> selected the option for separate /var etc, and selected the default
> sizes of the partitions.

Separate filesystem for /var/ is a pointless complication for most installations.
I make /home/ separate, and the ESP as it must be, but keep the OS itself on one
filesystem.

> When I ran sudo apt update this morning I received the error message:

> E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/

> Can I increase the size of the /var partition on the ssd without having
> to reinstall the system?

If your /var/ is adjacent to your /, you might boot something else, delete the
/var/ and its fstab entry, and add its space to /. The better question is why you
don't have enough space. You may have made /var/ too small, but I'm guessing it's
full of .deb files you don't need. 'Apt clean' would quickly and easily take care
of the latter problem, as implied by the tail of Greg's response.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata