Re: Problem with /var/cache/apt/archives/

On 12/16/23 08:45, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
I am running Bookworm on my Debian computer. When I installed the OS I selected the option for separate /var etc, and selected the default sizes of the partitions.

When I ran sudo apt update this morning I received the error message:

E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/

Can I increase the size of the /var partition on the ssd without having to reinstall the system?

Thanks in advance.

You can bind mount more space from another partition or create a directory on another file system and sylmink it to /var/cache/apt/archives/

Maybe something like this

On a volume that has sufficient space

where <path> is some where on your filesystem

mkdir <path>/archives

cp -var /var/cache/apt/archives/ <path>/archives/

or

mv -v  /var/cache/apt/archives/ <path>/archives/

then clean up /var/cache/apt/archives
rm -rf /var/cache/apt/archives

ln -vs <path>/archives /var/cache/apt/archives

or

mount --bind <path>/archives /var/cache/apt/archives

Add the bind mount to the end of /etc/fstab

/var/cache/apt/archives <path>/archives none bind,nofail

https://www.baeldung.com/linux/bind-mounts

--
Hindi madali ang maging ako