Re: raid10 is killing me, and applications that aren't willingtowait for it to respond

On 12/13/23 14:08, Dan Ritter wrote:
Pocket wrote:

Many reasons........

If the RAID controller bites the bullet you are usually toast unless you
have another RAID controller (same manufacturer and type) as a spare.

None of these controllers are self contained raids, it is all by mdadm and friends.

mdadm, zfs and btrfs all lack this problem.

I have zero luck replacing one companies raid controller with another and
ditto on raid built into the motherboard.

As above.
I really don't need any help losing my data/files as I do a good job of that
all by myself ;)

btrfs and zfs have snapshots which really help avoiding losing
data. On other machines, rsnapshot is often suitable.

I found it is better to just have my data on several backup disks, that way
if one fails I get another disk and copy all the data to the newly purchased
disk.

RAID isn't a backup solution, it's a way of keeping things going
until you have time to restore. (And also a way of improving
performance and/or manageability.)

If you don't need or want it, you shouldn't use it. Same as any
tool.

-dsr-

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.