Re: raid10 is killing me, and applications that aren't willing to wait for it to respond

Hello,

On Wed, Dec 13, 2023 at 10:26:19AM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> I thought I was doing things right a year back when I built a raid10 for my
> /home partition. but I'm tired of fighting with it for access. Anything that
> wants to open a file on it, is subjected to a freeze of at least 30 seconds
> BEFORE the file requester is drawn on screen.

I haven't chimed in to any of the multiple times you've brought this
to the list, because it's just so bizarre. I've about 20 years'
experience of using mdadm and have never seen anything like what
you're reporting, so I just don't know what the problem could be or
how to find it.

The only times I've seen anything remotely like it have been when
there's been hardware problems with failing writes, but I know
you've been through this with the list several time sand no such low
level issues were ever uncovered.

Would it be correct to say that you only experience these IO delays
from GUI applications? Like, if you do a simple:

$ time echo "test" > ~/foo

does that complete in a normal time?

And if you did a bigger write, again from the command line?

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/your/home/dir/zero bs=1m count=100
00+0 records in
100+0 records out
104857600 bytes (105 MB, 100 MiB) copied, 0.0783268 s, 1.3 GB/s

and with sync:

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/your/home/dir/zero bs=1m count=100 oflag=sync
100+0 records in
100+0 records out
104857600 bytes (105 MB, 100 MiB) copied, 0.463356 s, 226 MB/s

But then when you try to use some GUI application to save something
to a file, the initial save file dialog takers ages to appear and
everything seems frozen?

If so then I feel like this may actually be some sort of problem
with your desktop environment, but then I've no idea how to narrow
that down.

Thanks,
Andy