Re: Unattended Upgrades Ran Anyway.

On Sun, Dec 10, 2023 at 02:10:43PM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Dec 2023 14:51:48 -0600
> David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I think it might be worth googling and reading "three levels of off"
> > (with the quotes).
> >
> >   1. You can stop a service. That simply terminates the running
> >      instance of the service and does little else. If due to some form
> >      of activation (such as manual activation, socket activation, bus
> >      activation, activation by system boot or activation by hardware
> >      plug) the service is requested again afterwards it will be
> >      started. Stopping a service is hence a very simple, temporary and
> >      superficial operation.
>
> Thanks. I will disable as well.

Disable *what*?  Disabling a .service unit which is triggered by a timer
event isn't going to stop it from running.

*Masking* a .service would prevent it from running when requested by a
timer event.

Apart from that, you'd have to remove the timer event.  However you do
that.  I've never used systemd timers yet.