Re: Unattended Upgrades Ran Anyway.

On Sun, 10 Dec 2023 14:17:36 -0600
David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> Why is the service loaded, enabled and enabled then? Don't you need
> to disable or mask it? Presumably it sits there, dead, all day
> normally, and pops up at an appropriate time.

As I understand things, start and stop are for immediate changes.
enable and disable are for boot time. So the service is turned off
until I either start it up again manually or reboot the computer.

Then there's masking, which is a whole nother can of lawyers. And a
slew of other states. See Table 1.  is-enabled output, in man systemctl.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/