Re: Xorg fails, no gui: systemd issue?

On Sun, Dec 10, 2023 at 12:57:59AM +0100, Anders Andersson wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 9, 2023 at 3:01 AM Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@einval.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 08, 2023 at 06:13:59PM +0000, John - wrote:
> > > Since I last (3 December) upgraded the software (sid)  on my old Thinkpad, my gui fails to come up. The last line of /var/log/Xorg.0.log reads:
> > > (EE) systemd-login: failed to take device /dev/dri/card0: Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying
> > > I've  been trying for weeks to fix it, including tracking down all suggests from googling the error message, without success. Can anyone help me figure out what the problem is?
> > > Thanks.
> > >

> > Hi John,
> >
> > Today is the 8th of December - strictly, that's barely a business week.
> >
> > Debian expressly comes with no guarantees. You are running sid a.k.a
> > unstable - that comes with still fewer guarantees other than breakage
> > from time to time.
>
> I find this quite rude. Nothing in OPs post suggests that he demands
> or expects any help, yet you're quick to point out there are no
> guarantees. So? Who asked about guarantees?

It wasn't rude. Perhaps a bit unfortunate (because Debian, after all,
does come with some guarantees. The Social Contract, among others).

Andrew was talking specifically about *sid*. Sid does break from time
to time. This is to be expected, by the way it works.

> Aren't you even allowed to ask for help if you run sid? Where else to
> ask other debian users for pointers than the debian user list? Is
> there a specific list for sid users only?

I think Andrew's answer was more towards "in sid, things tend to fix
themselves, but this takes a bit of time".

Cheers