Re: Telnet

On Mon, Dec 04, 2023 at 08:29:04PM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> tomas@tuxteam.de (12023-12-04):
> > Back then (TM) (must have been 1990ies or so) I knew. And I sometimes still
> > miss the "easy interactivity". I haven't investigated whether there is an
> > equivalent socat mode (say line-mode with readline editing or something). That
> > would be a market niche, wouldn't it?
>
> I am not sure what you are saying: telnet does not have a line mode with
> readline editing;

It does have a line mode with local echo (meaning you can type without anything
being sent until you hit ENTER, with limited line editing capabilities (backspace
and things). No readline's full power, though: that was more like a Christmas's
wish :-)

>              anything of that kind you observe is on the server
> side.

I know Telnet too well, I'm /that/ old (and I just tried it against the local
Web server: yes, it has a line mode and it even is the default). I think we
don't remember how bad network latency could be back then. Line mode was essential.

> socat, OTOH, has.

Now that's good news: Christmas can come -- thanks for the hint :)

Cheers