Re: ntpsec as server questions

On Mon 04 Dec 2023 at 15:28:03 (-0500), gene heskett wrote:
> On 12/4/23 07:17, Greg Wooledge wrote:
>
> > > ls -hal /etc/localtime
> > > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Nov  1 18:21 /etc/localtime ->
> > > /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT
>
> And using mc to edit that link fixed it, I am now getting the correct
> time from date, thank you a lot.
>
> But maybe a bug against tzselect s/b filed, IMNSHO it should have
> fixed that. It did not.

If by fixed, you mean it should have changed the time zone of the
machine, you obviously didn't read the man page:

  Note that tzselect will not actually change the timezone for you.
  Use 'dpkg-reconfigure tzdata' to achieve this.

nor the output from the program:

  $ tzselect
  Please identify a location so that time zone rules can be set correctly.
  Please select a continent, ocean, "coord", or "TZ".
   1) Africa
   2) Americas
   3) Antarctica
   4) Asia
   5) Atlantic Ocean
   6) Australia
   7) Europe
   8) Indian Ocean
   9) Pacific Ocean
  10) coord - I want to use geographical coordinates.
  11) TZ - I want to specify the timezone using the Posix TZ format.
  #? 11
  Please enter the desired value of the TZ environment variable.
  For example, AEST-10 is abbreviated AEST and is 10 hours
  ahead (east) of Greenwich, with no daylight saving time.
  EST5EDT

  The following information has been given:

        TZ='EST5EDT'

  Therefore TZ='EST5EDT' will be used.
  Selected time is now:   Mon Dec  4 21:42:03 EST 2023.
  Universal Time is now:  Tue Dec  5 02:42:03 UTC 2023.
  Is the above information OK?
  1) Yes
  2) No
  #? 1

  You can make this change permanent for yourself by appending the line
                                     ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

          TZ='EST5EDT'; export TZ
  to the file '.profile' in your home directory; then log out and log in again.

  Here is that TZ value again, this time on standard output so that you
  can use the /usr/bin/tzselect command in shell scripts:
  EST5EDT
  $

(I've assumed you want the old value rather than America/New_York.)

Cheers,
David.