Re: ntpsec as server questions

On Mon, Dec 04, 2023 at 05:55:25AM -0500, Pocket wrote:
> On 12/4/23 03:58, gene heskett wrote:
> > I have this printer getting its time info from this machine's ntpsec but
> > the chrony in the printer is ignoring /etc/timezone, stuck in PST or 4
> > hours behind me when comparing the output of "date".
>
> What does /etc/localtime say?
>
> For example on my raspberrypi 4
>
> ls -hal /etc/localtime
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Nov  1 18:21 /etc/localtime ->
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT
>
> cat /etc/timezone
> America/New_York

According to <https://wiki.debian.org/TimeZoneChanges> the correct
way to set the time zone in Debian is to run "dpkg-reconfigure tzdata"
which will update both /etc/timezone *and* /etc/localtime.  Of course,
since Gene's printer isn't running Debian, we can't accurately tell
him what commands to run.

But at the bare minimum, Gene should check:

    ls -ld /etc/*time*

If it turns out his printer has an /etc/localtime symlink pointing
to the wrong time zone, then re-pointing it should help.