Re: ntpsec as server questions

On 5/12/23 04:52, Darac Marjal wrote:

Most people know what timezone they're currently in, but the more likely know what their nearest city is. Cities rarely change, but timezones do. Take the example of Triana in Paul Eggert's original email. The city never moved, but the timezone it was it changed dozens of times. Its a lot easier for someone to configure Europe/Tirana than to have to keep changing timezones.

The problem with that approach is when reviewing historical events there is no easy way to know what the local time was at any specific date

This is precisely the same problem as daylight saving which afflicts a large number of cities, though easier to pin the time down.

In my country we have different names for daylight saving time and normal time. e.g. Sydney Australia is AEDT at the moment while a few months ago it was AEST

If I referred to timezone Australia/Sydney I'd have to go and look up the daylight saving dates.

In my hometown of Perth we had daylight saving for a bit but gave up on it. So Australia/Perth timezone is fixed at AWST  but at dates I don't precisely recall could have been AWDT