Re: I uninstalled OpenMediaVault (because totally overkill for me) and replaced it with borgbackup and rsyncq

See https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2019/11/msg00073.html
and https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2019/11/msg00420.html

> Just rsync.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist chiming in here.

I have never used OpenMediaVault.

I HAVE used a number of other backup methodologies, including
Borgbackup, for which I had high hopes, but was highly disappointed.

Would you care to share in what regards BorgBackup failed you?

I am currently using `bupstash` (not in Debian unfortunatly) and `jmbb` (which I wrote for myself in 2013) in parallel and am considering switching to `bupstash` which provides just about all features that I need.

Here are my notes on these programs:
* https://masysma.net/37/backup_tests_borg_bupstash_kopia.xhtml
* https://masysma.net/32/jmbb.xhtml

And also the Bupstash home page:
* https://bupstash.io/

IMHO borg is about the best backup program that you can get from the Debian repositories (if you need any of the modern features that is). The only issue I really had with it is that it was too slow for my use cases.

In the end, I currently have settled upon using rsnapshot to back up my
single-machine, single-user setup to external external usb hard drive
A, which is then copied to external usb hard drive B, using rsync.  If
you can do rsync, you can do rsnapshot.

It's easy, especially when it comes to restoring, verifying, and
impromptu access to data, to use random stuff, or even to just "check
on" your data occasionally, to reassure yourself that it is still
there.

Yes, it does require considerable space (no data de-duplication), and
the rsync of the backup drives does take considerable time.  But to me,
it is worth it, to avoid the methodological equivalent of "vendor lock-
in".

Yes, the “vendor lock-in” is really a thing especially when it comes to restoring a backup but the fancy backup software just does not compile for the platform or is not available for other reasons or you are stuck on a Windows laptop without Admin permissions (wost case scenario?).

I mitigated this with `jmbb` by providing for a way to restore individual files also using third-party utilities and I intend to mitigate this for `bupstash` by writing my own restore program
(work-in progress: https://masysma.net/32/maxbupst.xhtml)

INB4:  No, I don't do online backups. If people or organizations with
nose problems want my data they are going to have to make at least a
little effort to get it. And yes, I do know the 1-2-3 backup
philosophy, which does seem like a good idea for many (most?) users.

The problem I have with offline backups that it is an inconvenience to carry around copies and that this means they are always more out of date than I want them to be. Hence I rely on encryption to store backups on untrusted storages.

[...]

Short but comprehensive resource on the subject (includes some advertising / I am not affiliated / maybe this has outlived the product it advertises for?):
http://www.taobackup.com/index.html

YMMV
Linux-Fan

öö