VM using Debian cloud image does not connect to virtual network.

Hello,

    This is my first message to the community so if I am doing something wrong please assume I am ignorant and not disobedient with respect to the community rules.

    I am also a novice with respect to this wonderful operating system. That being said, what am I trying to do? I am trying to create an Ansible playbook that sets up a QEMU/KVM libvirt VM running Debian 12 (without the Desktop stuff) so that I may experiment with open source tools. The computer I am trying to do all this stuff from is also running Debian 12( I like new stuff ) but with the Desktop stuff on.

    I did this successfully initially using a Fedora 38 qcow2 image. With some of the recent news about Red Hat I decided that it is maybe best if the continuous existence and support of my chosen flavor of Linux/GNU is not dependent on a corporation.

    Finally, what is my problem? I have many problems but what you kind folk might be able to help me with is the lack of network connectivity of this VM machine created using a Debian cloud image. I have not done any of the cloud-init stuff. I am trying to keep the number of mechanisms I need to learn and set-up low.

    I have tried using the below images:
    I have also tried adding interface settings to /etc/network/interfaces to try and make the interface connect and get an ipv4. I tried bringing the interface up (it is down by default) with ip link set dev <interface> up. No ipv4 is obtained. After a bit of digging I found that the cloud images also don't have networking.service (not sure exactly what that implies).

    At this point my 4 neurons are screaming in agony hence I have come seeking assistance. Hope someone has some suggestions about how I may solve this mystery.

Kind regards,
Cristian Căpșună