Re: logging no longer standard?

gene heskett wrote:
>songbird wrote:
>>    man journald.conf...
>
> I've looked at that, even looked at the file.  It is all systemd
> related, no mention of user stuffs.  Its as if a 3 meter tall board
> fence has been built around the systemd stuff that user apps can't get thru.

  no, i was just pointing out that i find the combined logs
of systemd a lot easier to deal with as root instead of trying
to look at them as a user and having them broken apart.  for a
simple system that i run it makes little sense to complicate
things by having separate logs in systemd journal.

> Glaringly missing is anything related to something the user might want
> to do.  So where is an equal facility for user stuffs?  Someplace where
> an AppImage looking for a missing dependency might express its
> displeasure at not finding everything it needs?

  i'm light years behind App[Anything].  once you mix up
what a system is doing then that adds yet more complexity
which like i mentioned above i tend to not do if i can
help it.

  IMO once you've started installing things from a vendor's
repository you've then got to figure out how that integrates
or not with your package management system.  the most of
that which i do here is in Python and i use virtual
environments to try to isolate the problem children to where
i hope they won't mess up the rest of my Python install.  so
far that seems to be working as intended.

  i'm sorry i can't help much...

  songbird