Re: Migrating system from u-sd to nvme memory on arm64's?

On Wed, 2023-07-12 at 22:49 -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> On 7/12/23 22:23, Default User wrote:
> > Now you tell me . . .
> >
> > In February, I transferred an existing Debian 11 setup to a new 64-
> > bit
> > x86 computer with an nvme ssd. I have a 1 Gb swap partition.
> >
> > What do to avoid wearing the ssd out?
> >
> > Very important these days, since you can't just open up a computer
> > and
> > swap out the ssd.  Now, a worn out ssd, or any other part really,
> > means
> > a whole new computer.  So much for reducing waste . . .
>
> Really? I have never owned a computer where I couldn't replace the
> SSD.
>
> -Carl Fink

Hi, Carl!

With "desktop" computers, replacing parts is usually no problem.  Just
open the case, swap the part(s), close the case, done.

But . . .
If you have a laptop manufactured in recent years, it can be a
nightmare.

My experience:
Until recently, I had a laptop which served me well, made in 2014.
 Easily serviceable. It had several access panels on the bottom. Just
unscrew a panel (one screw each), and I could quickly replace:
- ram modules
- wireless adapter
- mass storage device (in my case, SSD)
It even had a replaceable battery.  Just snap out, snap in. No tooles
needed.

A few months ago, it started "acting up" (I'll spare you the details).
I needed a new computer right away, so I got the closest newer model to
the old one that the manufacturer makes.  It works, but . . .

It has no access panels at all.  And not even a (user) replaceable
battery!  It is completely sealed up.  The only way to replace any any
parts is by using special tools.  And having the skills to use them.
And good luck getting a repair manual to show you how to do it.

Unfortunately, this was no surprise.  These days, laptop computers at
least, are deliberately designed to be disposable commodities, very
difficult to work on. I can't remember the last time I saw a laptop
that was user repairable.

Note: as an experiment, I tried to see if I could disassemble and re-
assemble the old laptop. I did disassemble it, but because it was
deliberately designed to be extremely non-intuitive to assemble or
disasssemble, I managed to break a plastic strut that supports the
screen hinge.  Of course, I did not have a repair manual or other
documentation to guide me through the process.  Or the special tools
required.  I disassembled the laptop completely, down to every last
part, every last screw.  So completely, that it will probably never be
put back together.  By now, I have lost interest in trying to do so.

INB4:
"Well, if you have a laptop that need repair, take it to a repair
shop".
1) I can't wait days (or longer) for a shop to fool around with it, the
MAYBE fix it "correctly".  And expensive.  I know from experience.

2) "Well, sent it to the manufacturer for repair." Same problem, wait
weeks (or longer). And probably more expensive.  (These days,
businesses DELIBERATELY price repairs so that they are not cost-
effective.  They want you to buy new products, for more profit.)  "You
can pay more, but you can't pay less!"

3) Either way, "Sorry, parts for that are no longer available.  No, we
couldn't fix it. Yes, you have to pay anyway."

4) Either way, do you really want some stranger leisurely pawing
through your hard drive or SSD, that you have spent months or years
getting set up the just way you want/need it?

"Oh, sorry - we lost your data. And your programs. And your
configuration settings. And your operating system.  Well, we can sell
you a new copy of Windows, for the low, low price of  . . .  Oh, yes -
installation will cost extra.  GNU/Linux - what's that? BSD?  Never
heard of it."

Bonus INB4:  "You do have current, tested backups, don't you?"

5) "Well, get a desktop computer instead."  Large "footprint". Not
portable.  Can't easily take it on trips, or even to another room.  And
if you have to evacuate in a hurry (fire, flood, hurricane, etc.), with
a laptop, grab and go.  With a desktop, not so easy.

So, glad that you have have a computer where you can replace the SSD.
Hope it stays that way!

: )