Re: Migrating from hard drives to SSDs

gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> writes:

> One of the things apparently missing in today's support for the arm64
> boards such as the bananapi-m5, is the lack of support for the nvme
> memory on some of these devices. I have quite a few of them, all
> booting and running from 64G micro-sd's.  Yet these all have, soldered
> to the board, several gigs of nvme memory, more that enough to contain
> a full desktop install with all the toys, but totally unused.

https://wiki.banana-pi.org/Banana_Pi_BPI-M5 says eMMC, not NVME. Same
page has a link to a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5I6pzWCTrg
which supposedly explains how to use it to install some software. I have
no idea if you can actually boot from eMMC on those boards.

I only have edible bananas here but on my Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3+
the eMMC was fully usable and in fact, I have no SD card on that
system. Although the eMMC solution on these boards isn't great because
they're slow. Apparently the Foundation went cheap (or clueless) on it
which is a pity.