Re: why bookworm isn't called deb12?

On Fri, Jul 07, 2023 at 11:08:57AM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * On 2023 07 Jul 09:12 -0500, BRN wrote:
> > I could be accused of nitpicking here, however; I'd suggest that GNU was
> > inspired by the original UNIX rather than being a clone.  A clone in
> > the original biological context refers to an exact genetic copy - "byte
> > for byte" if you like.
>
> That is probably why the term "bug-for-bug" came about as
> "byte-for-byte" would prove quite problematic in a copyright dispute.
>
> > As for the *BSDs; OpenBSD most certainly does *not* rely on a GNU
> > framework.
>
> Indeed, most of the work on BSDs these days is to excise as much GNU
> from their systems as they can (I don't follow their development
> closely, it's just the impression I get).

There is lots of cross-pollination, though. Before the advent of Clang
there weren't many credible alternatives to the GCC toolchain; I don't
think any BSD sysadmin worth their salt would renounce using rsync just
because it's GPL. Conversely, ssh is probably one of the nices gifts
BSD gave to the GPL folks. PostgreSQL is a wonderful thing and is,
again, BSD.

So, thanks to both :)

Cheers