Re: A hypervisor for a headless server?

Mario Marietto wrote:
> I mean. I cant use qemu on that I5 cpu because is slow without kvm. Kvm
> does not work on that cpu because it is needs some extensions from the cpu
> that there arent. Bhyve is the only alternative because it is a mix between
> qemu and kvm in terms of speed. So. My question is : how much old cpu there
> are that cant run kvm ? I dont think mine is the only one. May be a good
> idea is to port bhyve on linux to cover the little needs of the users who
> wants a fast hyp on the old cpus. and not,qemu in these cpus is very slow.
> is not the solution. I really think there isnt any better alternative than
> qemu in these situations. The only one is bhyve
>  if someone wants to try the scenarios that im talking about,they will
> understand for sure. and maybe they want to start the porting of bhyve on
> linux.

The most recent general-purpose Intel CPU without VT-X is from
2012.

The most recent general-purpose AMD CPU without SVM (AMD-V) are
some very low end Sempron APUs and the first generation of
Opteron. All the Zen chips support it, modulo weird early
motherboard issues.

*everything* on processors that old is slow. It's not going to
be on anyone's list to improve performance of unassisted QEMU or
bhyve on very old CPUs.

That said, it is certainly possible to improve performance of
QEMU on non-virtualized hardware, by passing the appropriate
flags for removing hardware that you are not using and selecting
the best-performing drivers.

In the end, the best choices are:

- don't run virtualized. Use a chroot or a container.

- acquire newer hardware. Used laptops with 8GB of RAM and an i5
CPU are going for $100 near me -- less if you buy in quantity.
It is quite likely that you can find better hardware for your
needs for free by posting an ad in your local Craigslist or
equivalent.

- if bhyve fits your needs, why not run FreeBSD and bhyve?

-dsr-