Re: A hypervisor for a headless server?

On Fri, Jun 02, 2023 at 07:38:15AM +0000, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Stanislav Vlasov wrote:
> > пт, 2 июн. 2023 г. в 12:18, Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>:
> >
> > > Running "apt install qemu-kvm" on a Debian 11 AWS EC2 instance which has
> > > never had any X-Window or desktop environment in its entire life,
> > > tries to install qemu-system-gui, adwaita-icon-theme, libgtk-3-common
> > > and a lot of similar stuff.
> >
> > Even with `--no-install-recommends`?
> > qemu-system-x86 package _recommends_ qemu-system-gui, but you may
> > install without.
>
> But Andy Smith wrote recently that "installing without recommends is not a supported use
> case" and I believe him.

FWIW, I do install with no-recommends in general:

  tomas@trotzki:~$ cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/95no-recommends
  APT::Install-Recommends no;

"Not supported" seemed a bit strong to me: what does mean "not
supported" in a non-commercial distro, anyway?

I'd prefer to say: not recommended for newbies. The problem with
you is that you want to be a newbie and not a newbie at the same
time.

This doesn't work :)

In the concrete case: some newbie would expect to have the GUI
tools installed when (s)he installs KVM. Some other not. Since
APT doesn't (yet) support mind reading (alas, the proprietary
drivers and that), the GUI tools are recommended.

That's what "recommends" is for. You can switch it off, even
in general (see above), but then you'll have to be prepared to
look into package descriptions and come up yourself with "oh,
perhaps I want to install that, too".

It's not hard.

Cheers