Re: EPSON ET M 1120 new printer: If You can read this, you are usingthe wrong driver

On 5/16/23 08:29, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Tue, May 16, 2023 at 01:55:08PM +0300, Anssi Saari wrote:
Will Mengarini <seldon@eskimo.com> writes:

* Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> [23-05/08=Mo 00:27 +0100]:
   https://download3.ebz.epson.net/dsc/f/03/00/14/48/15/1d37501ad39bd2b5753 \
cce3b2715b3e2fef557/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.7.26-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb

That includes a literal space in the middle of that hash
(because the space before the backslash is taken literally).

However, when I removed that space by hand, I still got "not found":
--------------------------------
debian/pts/3 bash3 ~ 17:03 0$HEAD
https://download3.ebz.epson.net/dsc/f/03/00/14/48/15/1d37501ad39bd2b5753cce3b2715b3e2fef557/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.7.26-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb

Which is still missing the <> surrounding the actual link. so its still a 403.
I don't understand why you guys even propose installing drivers from
Epson when printer-driver-escpr package is in Debian and should be
correct for the printer in question? Is there some established reason to
think it won't work? Or you just didn't do your homework?

I get that this saga probably never goes anywhere but I don't understand
this advice, especially from Andrew. It seems to run counter to the Debian
principle of using software that's actually packaged and tested by Debian.

If you reread - I suggest using the Debian package of escputil - I just wanted
Sophie to see that there was an Epson driver which might provide status
for ink tanks etc. - that's why I went through the steps of exactly how
to find the driver.

But yes, this is going nowhere - and there is no lsb package in Debian, I think.

Andy

.
Couple that with my recent discovery that debian seems to be shipping the cups from apple, last updated by its author in 2019. The new cups site, openprinting.org copy's src cups-master.zip is about 2.5 times the size of the debian src, and it builds on bullseye with only one option to "./configure with-tls=no" (presumably because debian doesn't have libtls, I couldn't find it)

Given that clue, I would be surprised to find a "cups" driver in the debian repo's capable of driving a newer epson product.

However to update this never ending saga, I rebooted this machine into a new security patched kernel yesterday, updating this machine to:

5.10.0-23-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.179-1 (2023-05-12) x86_64 GNU/Linux

and my bullseye armbian machines have magically gotten well. What changed? DIIK.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis