Re: Looking for inspiration/advice/best practices on system upgrade

Am 25.04.2023 um 15:43 schrieb David Wright:
> On Tue 25 Apr 2023 at 09:11:23 (+0200), DdB wrote:
(...)

> The problem lies with the user accounts 101–999 (and releated groups),
> which are system accounts created in a somewhat random manner as
> packages are installed on each system. Those ≤100 are fixed by Debian
> (IIRC in package base-passwd), and those ≥1000 are easily kept
> consistent by good administration practice.

(...)
> Just an observation (I know nothing about ZFS):
>
> AFAICT there are two occurrences of "permission" in this thread,
> both in your own text, whereas your problem seems to be one of
> ownerships.
>
> Decades ago, I made the mistake of transferring a file from one
> system to another (probably passwd.client), and ended up with a
> broken email system as the file was now owned by lpadmin or some
> such. But only the ownerships were wrong, not the permission bits.
>
> I have toyed with the idea of keeping my other PCs in sync with
> a master PC by preemptively creating users/groups as packages
> are installed on the master. This would only be practical with
> fresh installs of a new release.

(...)

> Cheers,
> David.

Hey! Excellent noticing there!
Yes, you are entirely correct, my issues are/were ownership related. And
my wording was largely due to me misunderstanding the meaning of the
word "permission", as in german, that identifies the larger concept
which can be dealt with by many different implementations (more or
less), whereas you identified the implementational detail called
"permission bits", which my vague, imprecise description accidentally
did not exclude.

Thank you anyhow for pointing this out, as it also clarifies my
thinking, and possibly the things, i am going to try to fix the issue.

As i said: Excellent noticing.

Thank you, DdB