OpenCL with Radeon GPU

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to set up a new workstation and wanted to enable OpenCL for future use.

GPU hardware is an AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT.

I have a base installation of Debian 12 up and running, kernel 6.1.0.7 including amdgpu and Mesa 22.3.

Any attempt to actually run any OpenCL program results in an error:

fatal error: cannot open file '/usr/lib/clc/gfx1030-amdgcn-mesa-mesa3d.bc': No such file or directory

which is depending on the using program reported more or less easily visible. clinfo is sufficient to show this.

Trying to diagnose this with available documentation I learned that
- I am not even able to determine if OpenCL itself should work,
- if it should work with the hardware I have here,
- which versions of amdgpu, xserver, Mesa, llvm or clang I need or which particular drivers / packages to install

I have tried several versions of the possible packages, but lacking documentation that makes sense to me that was more like blindly poking in the dark.

I even tried following some advice to use AMD's out-of-kernel driver pack, but the installation script stumbles over dependencies (which may or may not be due to the not-yet-stable base distro).

Anyway, the current state is less than satisfying, because I don't even understant if OpenCL with Radeon RX 6xxx GPU can even work on Linux.

I would give a different distro a try, but as a mostly-Debian-person I'm not really inclined to start learning to maintain more distros. Just using Windows would be a solution I would not appreciate at all...

So, my question here: Can anybody confirm this can work in general, or even point me to a place for current, correct documentation?

Alternatively, a pointer to where I short report those problems -- Debian bug (which package?), freedesktop.org's mesa, Linux kernel developers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann