Re: tmp on tmpfs

On 2023-04-19 08:34:50 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> There is one downside to /tmp on tmpfs: it eats RAM. You gotta
> have some of it (currently I've 9G free on / and 16G RAM).

True, and when I used tmpfs in the past (in 2012), I got many failures
due to lack of space (because of limited RAM).

> That's the only one I can read between the lines in the above
> linked post. Do you see any other?
>
> The upsides aren't that spectacular either. If you've enough
> RAM, file system caching is so good that tmpfs will only be
> marginally faster: The write path to the disk will be a bit
> clearer. There will be a bit less CPU usage if your /tmp would
> be otherwise on a LUKS partition (mine would).

"marginally faster" is incorrect, but this probably depends on
how fast the disk is. For the MPFR svn-to-git conversion with
reposurgeon 2 years ago, I had to use /dev/shm (tmpfs) because
it was awfully slow on /tmp (but the SSD disk was rather slow:
the new one I got several months later was about 50 times as
fast, IIRC).