Re: gitification (was Re: /etc/fstab question (problem)?

>   one of the worst design decisions i've come across in
> the modern era was the lack of Git respecting file metadata.
>
>   i got bit by this a few weeks ago yet again.  i hate using
> Git because of it destroying my file meta data.

FWIW, I think it makes perfect sense for Git to ignore such metadata
in the context of the intended use of Git (i.e. tracking source code).

But I wish there was a concerted effort to develop/maintain "Git as
a general purpose data storage tool" where various things can be tweaked
depending on the use-case, such as storing metadata, trying to handle
terabyte sized repositories, hash-splitting large files/directories, ...

It could be a sister project of Git.

        Stefan