Re: Mailing list usage questions

On 12 Apr 2023 22:15, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 10:04:42PM +0200, zithro wrote:
So it seems that, despite (incomplete?) standards, each provider
(in the whole mail chain, MUA, MTA, etc) "does what he wants" ?

Why do you sound surprised?  This is how everything works.  Everything.

I tend to agree AND disagree about "everything" ^^
[Reminds me of the discussion about categorization which happened on
this ML a few days ago, about perl iirc ; ) ]

RFCs are there for having a common ground, right ?
If I'm not wrong, RFC compliance may even be required in some areas (via contracts).

Are you referring to "extending standards w/o making it a
standard" (read: intellectual property and market advantage) ?
Or something else ?

Because now we're at it, I am trying to understand the caveats
of the whole mail system stuff.
Setting it up for a local/personal network was easy, but it's
another beast when getting public (IMHO).

Like should I ignore all those non-standards stuff when setting it ?
Or should I handle them in the config ?