Re: Mailing list usage questions

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 12:38:37PM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 11, 2023 at 10:12 PM The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> > Some mail services apparently treat this "discard incoming messages that
> > look like duplicates of ones you already have a copy of" behavior as a
> > feature; Gmail is the best-known example. That has problems when (as
> > with this mailing list) the incoming copy is not identical to the one
> > that was sent, even though it has the same Message-ID, but AFAIK they
> > don't seem to care.
>
> I believe Message-Id's are supposed to be unique across space and
> time. It sounds like discarding the duplicate is expected behavior (to
> me).

Still it doesn't make much sense discarding incoming messages which
match the IDs of outgoing ones.

I do have a filter on duplicate IDs, but (a) the cache is limited (for
a good reason, some incompetent implementations *cough* Microsoft
*cough*) still seem to get that wrong, and (b) I don't put outgoing
messages in there, for another good reason (on mailing lists, I see
that the message has made it *and* my threading works "naturally").

> I don't think I would blame GMail for that. Maybe it's the sender's MUA?

I /would/ blame them for that if there weren't far worse things
to blame them for,

Cheers