Re: how to activate my wireless card? nmtui only shows wireless connections . . .

On Sun 05 Mar 2023 at 02:42:46 (+0000), Albretch Mueller wrote:
> On 3/4/23, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> > Also, now that the firmware is in place, if you repeat those steps,
> > you're /likely/ to find that ath10k_pci is busy, because the link
> > will be configured automatically in the first few seconds after
> > booting up.
>
>  I would always go into exposed mode using a DL DVD that is what I
> meant when I said "re start". So, I will need to run a dkpg script
> whenever I boot it.
>
>  sudo iwlist wlp2s0 scan | grep ESSID
>
>  will list the wireless networks around. All I need now is a way to
> somehow pass the password into the script in the command line of
> through a config file so that I don't have to enter it every time. I
> tried to find a way to do just that.
>
>  How do you?

I run installed systems, so wifi passwords are either in individual
/var/lib/iwd/<ESSID>.psk files (with iwd), or collectively in
/etc/wpa_supplicant/<ifname>.conf (with wpasupplicant/systemd-networkd).

These files have go= permissions, and I don't consider them of great
enough concern to put them on an encrypted filesystem (which would
in any case need unlocking). However, you could do just that, with an
encrypted USB stick. At least you'd benefit from just one passphrase
to unlock any and all necessary secrets.

Cheers,
David.