Re: debian sid no boot after this morning's update

On 1/5/23 13:12, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

I am getting close to reinstalling Debian ( shades of Windows) !

Debian sid is unstable by name mostly because of package churn and large
transitions like this. Unfortunately, it's not intended for inexeperienced
users - you are expected to be able to resolve most problems yourself - "if
it breaks, you get to keep both pieces".

Lots of folk go to use sid because they want to be very up to date when
the boringness of Debian stable with security support and defined upgrade
paths is more appropriate for them.

If something is going to update 80 packages at once, try manually using
apt or apt-get to install five at a time - take it more steadily and take
notes of any package breakage, maybe.

Look in the Debian bugs database / the Debian package tracker to see
what bugs have been recorded against lightdm recently.

I've been running Sid for about 10 years and yes it has broken from time to time, but, with some knowledge and a lot of help from the people on this list I have always managed to put the two pieces back together. At the same time I also run Fedora on another partition which I believe is a little more leading edge than Sid. It too breaks time to time. And to add to the mix I have just
started running OpenSuse Tumbleweed which  keeps me on
my toes. I guess I am a bear for punishment. One day soon I will drop two of the three. Until then I appreciate
everyone's help.

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater

Thanks for any help.