Re: debian sid no boot after this morning's update

On 1/5/23 13:44, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Thu, Jan 05, 2023 at 06:12:07PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Thu, Jan 05, 2023 at 09:12:58AM -0500, Frank wrote:

There are other strange things going on which may or not be related. I tried
reinstall lightdm and the greeter using apt. (The Debian partition is
mounted
on my Fedora partition) but apt failed saying it could not contact
debian.deb to
gain access to the needed files. I downloaded the files from Fedora and
moved them
to Debian but dpkg said it could not access them !!??

If you're using raw dpkg tp install them - you are root? If using su, it
needs to be su - to get roots login environment.

Unless you create an /etc/default/su file to fix what Debian broke.

unicorn:~$ cat /etc/default/su
ALWAYS_SET_PATH yes

That restores the PATH behavior to how it was before Debian switched
upstream sources for su in buster.

Anyway, it sounded like the OP had some permission/ownership changes
which were breaking things, but they managed to find them and revert
them.  Or some of them.  We'll have to await further details.

I managed to fix most of the problem permissions, and just now fixed the rest with the help of Charles Curley's posting of the permission on his system.

I think we are now back to normal, whatever that means.

Thanks all

--
Frank McCormick