Re: debian sid no boot after this morning's update

On 2023-01-04 11:23 p.m., Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Wed, Jan 04, 2023 at 11:03:15PM -0500, Frank wrote:
** (process:734): WARNING **: 22:32:38.355: Error reading existing
Xauthority: Failed to open file ?/var/lib/lightdm/.Xauthority?: Permission
denied
Error writing X authority: Failed to open X authority
/var/lib/lightdm/.Xauthority: Permission denied
Does that file exist?  If so, ls -ld /var/lib/lightdm/.Xauthority

If not, ls -ld /var/lib/lightdm

Hell, just do both regardless of whether the file currently exists.
It's one command with two lines of output.  Should be the first thing
you do.

  Yes, the file exists and is owned by lightdm. I don't know whether this is
correct as I can't find any info on who should own it.
I tried moving it out of the way hoping lightdm or the greeter would
recreate but no luck.

See if you can figure out which user lightdm is trying to run as.
Try to make it so that user can write that file, either by removing
the existing file, or chowning it, or fixing the permissions on the
directory.  Whatever is indicated by the lightdm changelog.  Hopefully
there's a note in the lightdm changelog about this.  Or in NEWS.

 There are no notes or news file for lightdm so I am in the dark.

It is strange as there were no updates yesterday of lightdm or the greeter. The GTK greeter was updated the day before but Debian started and ran fine after that.

There are other strange things going on which may or not be related. I tried to reinstall lightdm and the greeter using apt. (The Debian partition is mounted on my Fedora partition) but apt failed saying it could not contact debian.deb to gain access to the needed files. I downloaded the files from Fedora and moved them
to Debian but dpkg said it could not access them !!??

Is there a way to reinstall lightdm and the greeter from Fedora ?? Perhaps using chroot
which I have zero knowledge of.

I am getting close to reinstalling Debian ( shades of Windows) !

Thanks for any help.