Re: Debian release criteria.

David,

Thanks for replying.

    From: David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk>
    Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 21:46:39 -0600
> What, you expect someone to obtain an i386 machine just to replicate
> that it's slow? And make it crash in some unspecified manner?

Definitely not for the problems with Firefox.

Yes, I'd hope that at least one person maintaining network software
would have a 32 bit machine and perform some tests there.  After all,
communication is fundamental and the title is "Debian; The Universal
operating system". https://www.debian.org/

> > ... what changes in functionality?  The Web site of my credit
> > union works as it did five years ago.

> What's that got to do with Firefox? OK, it's good that the CU hasn't
> run with every fad that some web developers seem to want, ...

The subject I intended was Web functionality.  The reference to the
Web site of my credit union was illustrative; not the primary subject.
I shouldn't have assumed that was obvious.

> Coo, look at that.

This meaning?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/coo
Etymology 2
Adjective
coo (comparative more coo, superlative most coo)
    (slang) Cool.

Yes, "coo rating" is a problem for the Web.  In North America "cool
rating" is the more likely expression.

> Where's your evidence that Firefox 102.6 is not ready? You haven't
> posted anything specific, and your criticism seems more like a whine, ...

Yes, a whine against the Web.  Not a whine about readiness of Firefox.
The Web has become a resource abyss.  Debian can't fix it.  No single
entity can fix it. At least Debian can acknowledge the problem and
allocate some attention and resources to mitigation. Debian has
influence.  It can advocate to help developers and users avoid the
abyss.  Might also be ways for software to help.

> I ran FF on a 500MB i386 laptop to the end of buster, ...

> I now run my i386 laptop just for its portability. I have eight
> xterms open in fvwm, and use it to set things going on the four
> or five other machines scattered through the house (all 64-bit).

Good.  One machine not in ewaste.

> I'm not sure why you run Firefox on 32-bits: any particular reason,
> or just for old times sake?

Aside from a tablet, haven't purchased a new computer.  Around
1990 purchased a new system board which went into a discarded chassis.
Purchased three used machines since.  Recently given two 64 bit machines
and haven't them commissioned yet.

> You don't appear to have posted what the spec of /your/ i386 machine
> is: in particular, how much memory and how much swap?

me@joule:/home/root# hwinfo --cpu
01: None 00.0: 10103 CPU
  [Created at cpu.465]
  Unique ID: rdCR.j8NaKXDZtZ6
  Hardware Class: cpu
  Arch: Intel
  Vendor: "GenuineIntel"
  Model: 15.2.7 "Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz"
  Features: fpu,vme,de,pse,tsc,msr,pae,mce,cx8,apic,sep,mtrr,pge,mca,cmov,pat,ps
e36,clflush,dts,acpi,mmx,fxsr,sse,sse2,ss,ht,tm,pbe,pebs,bts,cpuid,cid,xtpr,pti
  Clock: 2393 MHz
  BogoMips: 4787.65
  Cache: 512 kb
  Units/Processor: 1
  Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

me@joule:/home/root# hwinfo --memory
01: None 00.0: 10102 Main Memory
  [Created at memory.74]
  Unique ID: rdCR.CxwsZFjVASF
  Hardware Class: memory
  Model: "Main Memory"
  Memory Range: 0x00000000-0xe4c60fff (rw)
  Memory Size: 3 GB + 512 MB
  Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

me@joule:/home/root# lsblk | grep sda3
sda3   8:3    0     1G  0 part [SWAP]

Swap should be larger.  Might do that after a 64 bit machine is
running.

Thx,           ... P.

-
mobile: +1 778 951 5147