Re: Debian release criteria.

    From: "Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@einval.com>
    Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 16:32:37 +0000

Yes.  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=562765#55

> This is only the case for IPv6 - is this something that affects you?

I don't need IPv6 but need 4. This is the pertinent stanza in
/etc/network/interfaces.

# bridge to connect QEMU guest.
auto br0
iface br0 inet static
     address   10.0.2.1/24

Reboot.

ip addr show br0
4: br0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
   link/ether 92:e0:54:07:2a:e2 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Assignment of 10.0.2.1 failed.  Correct?  It worked in 2021 or early 2022.

Ideas aside from this?

> For Firefox, we take what upstream releases as firefox-esr ...

dpkg -l | grep fire
ii  firefox-esr                             102.6.0esr-1~deb11u1
i386         Mozilla Firefox web browser - Extended Support Release (ESR)

> All software is buggy: it is a matter of luck whether bugs hit you.

=8~/  A hacker might be satisfied with luck.  An engineer should not
be.  If I claim to be a package maintainer, I test as broadly as
feasible. A 32 bit machine is easily found.

> the pace of Firefox change is such that releases age very quickly

Bulk of the software and frequent updates are evident but what changes
in functionality?  The Web site of my credit union works as it did
five years ago.  Wikipedia pages are still text with pictures and
occasional video.  Flakey Web sites still have annoying animations and
distracting slide shows.  What's improved?

I use Dillo whenever possible.  Any other ideas to avoid wasted
communications?   Can Firefox imitate a mobile device app?  Does any
search engine prioritizes inversely to volume of HTML and JavaScript?

> Hope this helps,

Thx,                            ... P.

mobile: +1 778 951 5147
  VoIP: +1 604 670 0140