VLC not ejecting CD/DVDs

VLC is not ejecting CD/DVDs when I run it as my regular user, charles.
I get the error message "qt interface error: could not eject /dev/sr0".
I have not tried it as root. eject, however, does work when run by the
same user.

root@jhegaala:/dev# ll cdrom cdrw sr0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      3 Jan  3 20:26 cdrom -> sr0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      3 Jan  3 20:26 cdrw -> sr0
brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 Jan  3 20:26 sr0
root@jhegaala:/dev# grep cdrom /etc/group
cdrom:x:24:charles
root@jhegaala:/dev#

If I read the source for VLC correctly, VLC uses a SCSI ioctl to attempt to eject.
https://github.com/videolan/vlc/blob/master/modules/gui/eject.c

However, the man page for eject says,

    There are four different methods of ejecting, depending on whether
    the device is a CD-ROM, SCSI device, removable floppy, or tape.
    By default eject tries all four methods in order until it succeeds.

One of those four methods is via SCSI. When I specify that method,
eject ejects the CD/DVD.

charles@jhegaala:~$ eject -s /dev/sr0
charles@jhegaala:~$ echo $?
0