Re: Limiting ssh access: by MAC Address?

On 2023-01-04 at 16:03 +0000, Joe wrote:
> I actually use ssh for remote access if I can, but it only allows TCP
> forwarding, so I can get to email but not to anything that requires
> DNS or UDP. A VPN connection gives full access to all network
> protocols.
> The VPN will have a pre-defined IP address in your private network, so
> access can be fine-tuned using a firewall if required. The VPN endpoint
> appears in the server as another network interface.

Actually, you can do the same with ssh. Have a look at -w and Tunnel
configuration option of ssh. It is a little known feature, but this
allows you to use ssh like a VPN. It does however require some
configuration at *both* sides of the ssh connection, specially if you
want to run it as non-root.

Regards