Re: latest testing update broke my laptop

>>> I can recommend the laptop as a reasonable candidate for Linux.  Apart from
>>> the need for proprietary drivers, which is something I blame nVidia for, it
>>> seems to work perfectly.
>> IME, getting the nVidia driver to work is easy, but keeping the nVidia
>> driver working over time across upgrades is a real PITA...
> In what sense? What problems have you had?

Incompatibilities with the different packages.

> These days, nvidia-kernel has been updated in Debian Stable so I could

I use Debian Testing (and occasionally move/clone my system disks between
machines), so that might be a good part of the difference of experience.
As I said, the initial setup usually works fine (as long as the
hardware is not too new to be supported), so if you mostly reinstall
from scratch when an upgrade comes along you'd likely be fine.

        Stefan