Re: latest testing update broke my laptop

>> I can recommend the laptop as a reasonable candidate for Linux.  Apart from
>> the need for proprietary drivers, which is something I blame nVidia for, it
>> seems to work perfectly.
>
> IME, getting the nVidia driver to work is easy, but keeping the nVidia
> driver working over time across upgrades is a real PITA...

In what sense? What problems have you had? I've had Nvidia cards in my
desktop for a very long time and I've had very little problems. One was
getting a very new GPU recently (2021), it took a while to get something
going. I think eventually nvidia-driver was updated in backports and
that brought support. But for a few weeks I was running with my then
CPU's integrated Intel GPU in Debian.

These days, nvidia-kernel has been updated in Debian Stable so I could
probably run Stable kernel now. Should look into that when I have some
time.