Re: kernels in testing (was: Re: Debian failed)

On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 3:02 PM George Olson <geotechtribe@hotmail.com> wrote:

On 12/16/22 18:41, Timothy M Butterworth wrote:

On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 2:05 PM songbird <songbird@anthive.com> wrote:
Timothy M Butterworth wrote:
> Testing and Sid track pretty close to the latest kernel releases. Testing
> currently has version 6.0.10. New kernel versions are first uploaded to Sid
> then after about a week they are uploaded to testing. Testing, when not in
> freeze, is more like a rolling distro than a stable distro.

  yes, and i've had very few problems with it for a long time,
but i still also keep a bootable stable partition because when
you need something to work for sure it is better than trying to
fix testing quickly

I'm currently running on testing. I have to in order to get my HDMI Audio to work. I have stable on my media center PC.  I have had more problems with stable than with testing. Elisa on stable crashes when there is a large number of songs or multiple cd's in an album. Elisa on Testing works just fine with no issues. I like testing and surprisingly it does not get that many updates. I had openSUSE Tumbleweed rolling installed and there were hundreds of updates every day and they were not all using delta-RPM.

Yes, that's where I was also, using openSUSE Tumbleweed. If Testing is more like a rolling distro, then it seems very similar to Tumbleweed, albeit with significantly fewer updates. I am enjoying Debian quite a bit (I liked openSUSE, but wanted to try something new and was concerned about the involvement of Novell and the direction they wanted to push the user community into in order to support their enterprise project).

I had high hopes for The Novell purchase of SUSE. openSUSE gained a lot of forward momentum under Novell. SUSE Studio was and is still a nice setup. I was looking forward to novell porting all their enterprise software to SUSE particularly E-Directory. It is always nice to have another Active Directory alternative but Microsoft manipulated a buyout and separation of SUSE and Novell into two different business units. MS just wanted Novell's patents so they could Patent Troll Linux. At Least I made some money on my Novell stock so it was not a total loss.

This is what convinced me to go try Testing on my desktop pc instead of trying to stick with Bullseye:
https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comments/st8uqt/amd_radeon_rx_6600_non_xt_in_debian_11x

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org/