Re: Debian failed

On 12/4/22 16:09, hw wrote:
On Sun, 2022-12-04 at 15:00 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Sun, Dec 04, 2022 at 03:52:31PM +0100, hw wrote:
Hi,

so I wanted to have Debian on a Precision R7910 with AMD graphics card
and it failed because it refuses to use the amdgpu module.  I tried
forcing to load it when booting and it still didn't work.

So I'm stuck with Fedora.  What's wrong with Debian that we can't even
get AMD cards to work.

Hi hw

How did you install - what image, what steps?
debian-11.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso

Did you use the firmware installer?
Installed the radeon firmware with aptitude.

You *only* have the ADMFirePro and no Nvidia card.
No, it's a RX 6600 XT.  Since that card is built unreasonably large, I
put a NVIDIA 1080ti FE into the workstation which I thought is broken.
However, at least with nouveau drivers, the card works fine.  Once I can
install NVIDIA drivers I'll see if it still works ...

They need to make AMD cards that aren't too large to fit ...

Sorry to be really brief on this, getting ready to head out for something important. But thought I would respond here.

I have an RX 6600 XT also. I use a 4 monitor setup and had to configure things so that it would work with 2 on top and 2 on the bottom. I can't remember exactly how I did it, but I first installed Bullseye and figured out it wasn't going to work. I had enough of a functional graphics environment and terminal to change all my sources to Testing, which goes by the codename Bookworm, because to me that was easier than trying to figure out how to use backports to install a newer kernel.

Once I got that running, it has basically been going without a hitch. Testing seems to be almost as stable as regular Debian Bullseye like I have on my laptop. I haven't run into any major snags yet.

I am really new to Debian, having only just installed this around the end of September. I came over from openSUSE. If you have been using Fedora for a long time, I am sure you will be able to figure out how to make it work. I know it can be frustrating to go through hours and hours of trying to find this out, find that out, but it will be worth it to finally get through it and see it working. It has been for me.

tribe