Re: latest testing update broke my laptop

On Sat, 17 Dec 2022 11:39:51 -0800
David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

> … the practical answer is install and
> find out.

There are other ways besides "install[ing] and find[ing] out".
https://linux-hardware.org is a very useful tool. And one should
consider contributing as well. "apt show hwinfo".

Another way is to stick with known reliable vendors and product lines.
I've had excellent results with IBM/Lenovo products, except for some
dicey results with one Yoga laptop.

For IBM/Lenovo computers, there is the thinkwiki.
https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

A good bit of advice is, avoid bleeding edge hardware unless you want
to help Linux to support it. And prices are lower for older or factory
refurbished hardware.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com