Re: t-bird vs filters to sort msgs

On 12/12/22 13:22, Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
On Sunday 11 December 2022 09:51:05 am gene heskett wrote:
Greetings all;

Nov 22 is the last time that about half my filters stopped working. I
have recreated 3 or 4, putting them at the top of filter list displayed,
but they don't work either.

Is it time to learn a new to me but more stable emailer, like
alpine or such?

The error log claims the messages were properly sorted, but the targeted
local folder remains empty and the message remains in the inbox. Most of
the errors it does log are swahili to me.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.

Gene,

I prefer the maildir rather than mbox format,  which narrows my choices somewhat.  What I ended up doing was running virtualbox with a rather early version of Slackware in there,  with the correspondingly early version of KDE,  and use kmail to do all of my mail.  Filters are rather extensive,  since I keep on adding spammers to that list,  and haven't given me any trouble,  so far.

There is a terrible echo in here, mbox is a pita I'd druther not have to deal with. Some of the screwups I've had are probably directly blamable on tbird using mbox for its database. One alpha hit on one bit of a 75 meg mbox file and the whole thing is un-repairable. How that ever got past even 3rd grade grammer school checking is beyond me.

A year ago when all this aggravation started, I gave the new kmail a try, but it destroyed its database about weekly, so that experiment was terminated, with prejudice after about 3 weeks.

I learn best in the reading room, reading a pdf, but debians version of mutt is html only, how the heck do you print that? No one has succeeded in reformatting that into fixed length lines for a printer that doesn't leave whole paragraphs out of what it sent to the printer. More aggravation... I'll see if ddg can spit out a place to get the pdf.

Thank you to another fan of R.A.H.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis