Re: Reboot required after updating firmware-amd-graphics?

local10 <local10@tutanota.com> wrote:
> Dec 7, 2022, 15:42 by tomas@tuxteam.de:

>> So a rough approximation to an answer would be "yes".

> That was my thought as well but I was hoping maybe there was some
> automagical way it could refresh itself in RAM.

You can see firmware as kind-of an OS for the component. And just like
the Linux Kernel can't refresh itself while running, (most of) the
firmware running on a component can't do that, it (usually) needs to get
reinitialized.

This will happen during a reboot of the whole PC or (in many cases) by
unloading and then reloading the Kernel module for that component.

S°

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.