Re: loss of screen resolution

On December 1, 2022 9:41 PM, I wrote:
>> Out of the blue today, my usual screen resolution (1920x1200) became
>> unavailable. ...

On Sunday, December 4, 2022 1:26 AM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net>
replied:
> Do you have another VGA cable you could try? Do you have any other PCs with
> VGA output available that you could test with your display?

My cable has one end male and one female, and I don't have a spare or a
useful adapter.  I tried swapping in another monitor using the cable from the
problem build.  The resolution problem persisted.  So the cable is still
a suspect.

On Sunday, December 4, 2022 8:22 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net>
replied:
> Save the following as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-vga.conf:
>
> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier "DefaultMonitor"
>         VendorName      "Dell"
>         ModelName       "U2412M"
>         HorizSync       30-83
>         VertRefresh     50-61
>         Option  "PreferredMode" "1920x1200"
> EndSection

Thanks.  I tried that and was again unsuccessful.

I guess this is in software or in the cable.  I could buy another cable, but
I'm the process of getting a new desktop built anyway.  I think I'll just
live with this until I can abandon ship.

Thanks for all your efforts, Felix.  I did learn a few things.